Athletic Director's Welcome
Welcome to Mount Rainier Lutheran High Athletics! MRLH is a member of the Washington Interscholastic Activities Association (WIAA) and is a member of the Sea-Tac League within District II and participates in the 1B classification. The Sea-Tac League has 15 member schools (eight 1B and seven 2B schools) and is one of the largest 1B/2B leagues in the state and includes 13 private and 2 public schools. The Sea-Tac League is also consistently represented in WIAA State Championship events in all sports. Hawk athletes consistently compete in post-season play and have earned League, District, and State Championship titles. MRLH athletes are also recognized throughout the League for their sportsmanship.
Hawk student-athletes currently participate in five girls’ sports (Cross-Country and Volleyball in the Fall, Basketball and Cheerleading in the Winter, and Track & Field in the Spring) and six boys’ sports (Cross-Country and Soccer in the Fall, Basketball and Cheerleading in the Winter, Baseball and Track & Field in the Spring). As we continue to grow, our athletic offerings are evaluated to make sure that we are providing the best combination of potential student success and student interest. Opportunities also exist for MRLH students to participate in interscholastic competition at their local public school in sports in which MRLH currently does not offer.
The philosophy of the MRLH athletic program mirrors that of the overall school mission statement in that it is Christ-centered and student-focused. Through competition, sportsmanship, teamwork, and self-discipline, Hawk student athletes become better equipped to be servant leaders. As athletics are an integral part of the educational experience here at MRLH, they truly help to “Share values and shape lives”.
- Boys and Girls track & Field teams were League Champions, Tri-District Champions, and 1B State Champions.
- Boys basketball went undefeated during the regular season on their way to being Sea-Tac 1B Champions and Tri-District Champions.
- Boys cross country was Sea-Tac League Champions, Tri-District Champions, and took 5th place at state.
- State academic state champions in both boys cross country and girls basketball.
- Boys athletic program was awarded the Sea-Tac League Bob Christian Sportsmanship Trophy for the 2010-2011 school year.
- Boys cross country, boys soccer, volleyball and baseball won the sportsmanship award for their respective sport by their respective teams in the Sea-Tac league.
- MRLH was the awarded the WIAA 1B Scholastic Cup for the 2009-10 school year for its performance in post-season play and its performance in the classroom. It is the first time a Tacoma area school, public or private, has been presented the award since its inception.
- Of the nine varsity sports teams, all nine were awarded WIAA/Les Schwab academic awards for having a combined team GPA of at least 3.0 or higher.
- Boys Cross-Country repeated as League Champions and Tri-District Champions and finished 4th at the WIAA State Championships. They have finished in the top 8 at State, three out of the last four years.
- Girls Cross-Country were Academic State Champions! Junior Alexis F. won individual titles at both League and District Championships and finished 11th overall at State.
- MRLH athletic teams were awarded Sea-Tac League Bob Christian Sportsmanship Trophy for both the boys and girls athletic program. It is the second time in the last four years that programs have been presented with the traveling trophy.
- The Boy’s and Girl’s Track & Field teams swept the Sea-Tac League Championships, Tri-District Championships and the WIAA State 1B Championships! MRLH is the first 1B school in state history to sweep both track titles.
- Twenty-three MRLH track athletes qualified for the WIAA State Championships and four MRLH student-athletes won individual titles.
- MRLH student-athletes were selected as Sea-tac League MVP’s in the sports of boys’ cross-country, girls’ cross-country, boys basketball, girls basketball, and girls track & field.
- Eight of the nine MRLH varsity sports teams qualified for District Championship play during the 2009-10 school year.
- 75% of the MRLH student body participated on at least one athletic team during the 2009-10 school year!
Sports physicals are good for 2 years from the date of examination. Students need to keep their physicals up to date so that they are eligible to participate in sports.
Download the Sports Physical Form.